Saturday, June 25, 2011

We pack up for the summer....

Elizabeth I  has taken to doing some of
the ironing.
Dad is watching from the side
My vista is beige.  My temperature is a steady 42 deg C.  My humidity is unpredicatable.  My status is dust.  In under five and one quarter sleeps I board an aircraft with a sleeping kid, a tired husband and hopefully enough gear for a two month escape.

Our trip is looking like it might be a tad "epic".  The route to Dunedin, in its most direct form consists of three legs.  Two of which are in excess of 10 hours.  Doha is not as far away from Dunedin as London but it is further in cost and sectors because it is an outpost in the middle of a desert on the Arabian Peninsular.  It would be assumed that One would employ the most direct route to another outpost at the bottom of the world. Yes? No?  Of course, One would not.  Who would pay double the cost, miss out of visiting my bestest girlfriend and miss out on catching up with other people on the return leg?  Net result, savings 50%, in Riyals, expense; 48 hours in time, including an enforced airline layover (for the cheap route) in both Colombo and Singapore.  Get that lot over with and we are faced with a 6 hour wait in the transit area of Brisbane airport starting at 1 am.  Fun fun fun!

So clearly the flights are sorted and well understood.  Naturally, Mrs Plan Ahead started to consider the impact of a certain Chilean ash-cloud and what impact that could have on the journey.  One went with One's dearest to talk to the travel insurance agents.  Net outcome, Romel might answer the phone between 7am and 3pm Qatar time if we care to call.  The sheet covering the insurance is very clear (for those that can interpret it) that all delays and cancellations are covered, however, according to another insurance agent, considering the detailed sheet, the travel insurance only covers extended warranties on whiteware purchases! DUH DUH where the heck did that come from.  Very calmly we left with insurance information in our hands absolutely convinced that we would not be calling Romel as the ash-cloud would clear.  Why would the ash-cloud clear and not return?  Easy, because we have checked everything out, Mrs Plan Ahead is prepared, thus, we shall not have a problem.  You see, it is when One is not ready that problems arise.  Please note that I have touched wood and my fingers are crossed (including my eyes).

The next point is the packing.  Why does it take me forever?  I have been gathering papers, backing up digital devices, sorting out a suitable laptop and pulling together Teagan's summer schooling material and all I now have is a dastardly pile.  That said, I only have one suitcase that is mostly empty for both Teagan and Me and one suitcase full of items travelling one-way only.

Our plan is to merely transfer our lives and continue from Dunedin.  I will continue with my financial portfolios and it seems that Teagan will be doing "her own thing" - I am not sure what it is but apparently it is well know to her!

Finally, I have to post a photo of the finished Findley jacket that I have knitted for Teagan.  It seems that Teagan has decided to sprout over the past 3 months and thankfully I knitted a slightly larger size.  Overall I am very pleased with the outcome.  The main yarn is from Ireland (Donegal Tweed) and the buttons are from the Orkney Islands, so not an inexpensive knitted coat but worth the time and effort.






I also leave you with a picture of what my brother Tony and I occasionally endure.  An extended Skype session between Teagan and Jasmine; last week's feature was reading out school books!

No comments:

Post a Comment