Bad Mother:
Hands up! Yes, my hand is up, I am the bad mother. Finally, halfway through Teagan's antibiotic treatment I check out the manufacturers instructions properly. The doctor we saw earlier in the week prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic, azithromycin, (aka. ZOCIN) for a mild case of tonsillitis as Teagan presented with a moderate fever. 7.5 ml was prescribed (300 mg) per day and accordingly, I dosed.
Yesterday, Teagan's teacher, Mrs S, telephoned to say that she wasn't herself but she had been checked and didn't have fever or anything, she also did not want to go home. As it was close to the day's end, I popped in to give her some brufen and to cut the story short...she vomited all over me big time! The question is, was it the dose rate of the antibiotic? I will never know but what I do know is:
7.5 ml (or 300 mg) is prescribed for children 5-11 years weighing 26-35 kg
5 ml (200 mg) is prescribed for children 2 - 5 years weighing 15-25 kg
Teagan weighs approximately 14.5 kg so my guess is she was overdosed by me. She felt unwell for an hour or so, vomited, was weepy for 20 minutes or so and then......Miss Energy bucket returned to us.
Hmmm.....message to me.....check the manufacturers instructions when I am not sure of the part of the world I am in..... BAH HUMBUG....and kid will survive as the overdose and contraindications are nothing to be too concerned about....thank goodness I got vomited on and not the teacher or classroom - hey it what mothers are for!
School Sports Day:
As another bit of praise for Sherborne and the Parents Association; Ross and I had a fabulous morning attending the infants sports day. We were pleasantly surprised with our midget's performance (not a sporty child) as she appeared well co-ordinated and could run with the front of the pack. The school and children were amazing. Mr R ran a good sport tough PE teacher programme with happy children and the supporting teachers were gems.
Ah yes always check what the doctor gives you here. Brett has just been prescribed a medication for diarrhea that you are not allowed to take if you have just travelled overseas. Yes the doctor knew about our trip to Egypt last week but she wasn't the one to tell us, we found out by reading the warning labels in the packet.
ReplyDeleteThanks Cheryl; I will read first from now on....sheeezzzzz....hope Brett gets sorted out...quickest fix we have for Teagan after our Paris trip was a full day on bread, rice and yoghurt...she came right fast...
ReplyDelete