Friday, February 25, 2011

Of New Zealand...

The Quake (note the use of the capital letter), the Big One, and it hit but not where we all expected.  Who expected Christchurch? Was it not to happen somewhere else....not us.  When it does happen to us then the reality of humanity digs; this is what it is like for everyone when disaster strikes.  But is it not just harder to comprehend when it is to your own?  I feel so, because you recognize the names, the places, the businesses and the lives that were being lived and with NZ being small, it is only just too real.

Over here in Doha, we now have news of friends and family and their situations.  None have had a death hit their family, and some of their homes are significantly damaged.  I have seen names on the missing list that I am aware of and I can barely even feel what the parents of the overseas students caught in the CTV building must be enduring.  Please let there still be more life under the rumble - it happens elsewhere!

We are now Apple Mac, iPad and iPod people (thanks middle brother) and I have found that these systems do not like to help me listen to the radio (live streaming) nor watch video on occasion.  That said, I now am the proud user of my iPod and iPad with constant NEWSTALK ZB running as I work from home via the use of "Apps".  I have heard a moving account of an ambulance officer (audio link), seen a quirky little cartoon (cartoon link)urging donations and have stood with Teagan to a superb version of the New Zealand Anthem (music link).  Social media and updated computer and internet systems have brought Christchurch into our Villa in Doha, Qatar.

Now onto another thought, that of living a normal life, as we are privileged to do.  Teagan has prepared a morning-tea picnic for Dad outside.  I am not invited and I am sure you can hear my distress!  Ross appears to be enjoying himself and they have determined that chocolate provides energy!

For me, I have a small movie night tonight.  I have a couple of friends coming to watch a NZ autobiographical movie covering a goodly portion of Janet Frame's early writing life.  "An Angel at my Table", the movie covers her full three part autobiography and must be one of my all time favourites.  Is that because she is probably my favourite author?  And of course, The Swans, is my all time favourite short-story.




2 comments:

  1. Teagan, can Maggie and I come to your picnic outside? There are a lot of people in Christchurch having to picnic outside with their neighbours. Christchurch is a very resilient city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Teagan says that they have plenty of tectronic plates that made it shake from under the ground and she is really sad that the houses are squashed that's why she is giving them money.

    ReplyDelete