Monday, September 27, 2010

Some catch-up photos: completed craft projects

Val had asked that I show some of my completed work. And I wanted to put some more photos on the blog showing my drive to school. So here goes:


My completed projects.  


I have finished a capelet that I modified from a guideline by "Ann Budd".  For this, I adjusted the size and added a panel of classic aran knitting down the front.  For the yarn, I used Cleckeaton Country Naturals 8ply.






Yarn is a fairly precious item here in Doha.   Any decent yarn must be purchased on-line and freighted here.  I was lucky enough to be gifted some really cute fingering weight yarn and decided to make a pair of inside slippers for some little feet.  Here is the result.  Again, I modified the pattern somewhat to get what I wanted.  The original pattern can be found on Ravelry under "Raspberry Bed Socks".





Of course it is Teagan's 5th birthday in two days.  When we visited a dear friend just prior to leaving NZ (Mrs Mac) , she had a darling Jean Greenhowe Topsy Turvy knitted doll on her bed and Teagan was taken by it.  So naturally, I decided to employ my skills in making her one for her birthday.  I had a lot of help from Pins and Needles out of the UK.  Carole managed to help me gather the most appropriate mix of yarns to make the "base model" Jean Greenhowe Topsy Turvy doll.  Teagan has kept her eye on progress and has been happy to see the wrapped parcel of which she isn't touching until her birthday.












Teagan's circle skirt is finished.  Well, it has been finished for some time now but I haven't posted a photo.  To add to it, I have again adjusted patterns found on the internet and made a little book bag for Teagan's birthday.  You will see that it is lined and has a gusset.  I modified the pattern from one found on a fabulous blog site called Tiny Happy (Base shoulder bag tutorial)where a very talented woman has provided a tutorial.  If you are interested in making one of this size: it is 16.5 inches top to bottom and 5 inches across the bottom.  I have also modified the instructions so that you do not trim off the excess after pinching the corners out, rather you fold them under and top-stitch, this step provides extra definition to the base of the bag. And to fully finish, I will knit a small vest with a pattern I am yet to sort out!

In the bag I have two books of a four book series by Debi Gliori: The Witch Baby and Me.  Teagan found the books in Hatchards (of London) and proceeded to sit down on the ground and have it read outloud.  So when Ross when to London, I ordered the books via email (the series) and had Ross collect them from their mail order department.  The author is Scottish and the books look just glorious.  I hope these keep our reading going until our next bookshop stop.




No comments:

Post a Comment