Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Of preparations....as one must prepare to meander....

Meandering does not bring out an image of preparations, rather a quiet wander following "the whatever".  However, and I must put in a however, when your Mother and your four year old daughter accompany you in the peak of the tourist season, "One" (note: here I refer to me as One) must prepare.  As a side note; now, I also have time to prepare and I do so love to get "organised"...do you think there is a Yahoo group called the "Organisers" - if so maybe I should moderate.....


Firstly, One organises by planning a theme.  Ours (now I use the travelling team reference) is "the journey and the fun of getting there".  We shall travel predominantly by public transport and on foot a comfortable full length of the UK and travel as lightly as possible...anyone that knows my work travel style....it is light!


To orientate yourselves on Our journey, I have spent much time crafting this elaborate map....








































I am wondering if preparations actually save time.  Obviously, it will save stress as through "google maps" and "slow travel", I can easily, via a photographic walking route, get a tired "Ours" from the Roissy OperaBus to our hotel on Rue Montgolfier; a total distance of 2.4 km on foot (I have decided not to use the Metro as we will see more on foot).  Now back to my point on time, it has taken me about 40 minutes to plot out how to get from the airport to the hotel following an all night flight.  No doubt, if nothing was planned, it would have taken less than 10 minutes to sort out at the airport!  Take your pick - to plan or not to plan.


On total planning, that I have really enjoyed.  The web is my friend (as is a credit card) for the intinerary.  I have perused Trip Advisor with alacrity, got the inside word on train travel via Seat61 and found that the booking site of preference for me is booking.com. 






















Gear, here we have my "bestest" friend, I LOVE GEAR.  My fully packed 50 L backpack is under filled and weighs in at 8.2 kg including its outer airline strapping.  Have I left items out, you ask (as clearly, I am carrying gear for Teagan too).  No, infact, I have lots of "tools", I answer.  Included in my kit bag is a range consisting of: incup water boiler, binoculars, medical kit, reading lights, lunchvwraps and box, camera, netbook, plate and utensils including the necessary milk frother for in room cappuccinos, Teagan toys and drawing gear.  And yes, no excrement of a man cow, it does all fit in easily and weigh 8.2 kg.  Teagan, naturally will be carrying a small backpack of her own at a total weight of 1.5 kg: clothes in a roll, toothbrush, and a small extra toy and I have a small shoulder bag. Clothing is minimal but not extremely so.  All in all, hopefully, we have room for some purchases and low weight so I can actually enjoy pushing Miss 4 yrs in the buggy 3 km from ferry to backpackers at 10pm at night in Plymouth!



So this is  our next meander.  A fairly windy course, gently travelled but well planned.  Ours is three generations one spending her kids inheritance via backpack and the other two getting break from the intense heat here in the sandpit and introducing a preschooler, who happens to love "a long time ago" (history) to some real prehistoric history and a good taste of the industrialisation period (we do have to see Brunel's bridge and his Daddy's tunnels).  All the best for your winter in NZ or heat in the Sandpit (noting that temperatures in the 30's will be cool to us).



10 comments:

  1. The Grandma's backpack weighs in at 7.5 kgs. Some of that weight is from clothes line, pegs and soap. That Grandma is soooo fit I don't the next two generations will be able to keep up with her!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Quite likely they won't so you will be pushing us both!! Ha ha ha... and I doubt that Grandma's backpack has her jacket weighed in nor her electronic thingamihig in it yet - that said.... it will still be very light weight ready for your big shopping spend up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mum all excited looking forward to all the news.
    Love Dawn

    ReplyDelete
  4. All packed waiting to go!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there you intrepid voyagers--- will be thinking of you in the next few weeks.You should have been a journalist Kirsty with your quirky writings.We are having a winter here--the cats certainly stick close to the fire or the sun behind the glass.All the best. Safe travels.Regards to Ross

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope your trip is lots of fun. I'm wondering how many souvenirs you will pick up on the way

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are looking forward to the trip - Kara, I think we will get some photos of Audrey in front of some famous sights, you can then guess where they are!

    Val - we will get some photos of the sun for you, I will also pack 20 deg C into a jar and post to you from here!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Have a great trip. Look forward to hearing about your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Am spending most of today (Monday) in lounge at HongKong airport. I have been reading, sleeping and playing Spider!!! Looking forward to meandering on the night flight to Doha.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good on you Grandmas!!! Well done on getting into the sight!...Have some good rest. Teagan is currently packing a large suitcase!!!

    ReplyDelete